New Bluegingerdoll Pattern - The Odette Dress

9.12.2014

Oh my it's been a busy week around these parts, everything happened at once! Sorry about clogging your blog readers, but I have one more thing to share with you. Something I've been sitting on for awhile and has been staring at me from the corner of the sewing room. That's right secret sewing!  Abby, of Bluegingerdoll, is always hard at work making new patterns and I had a good time with this last one. So without further ado let me show you the Odette dress.
The Odette dress comes with a contrast bodice inset feature, waistband and 6 panel gored skirt.  The contrast panel is "buttoned in" right along the neckline split. This gives you the option of making several insets with different buttons to change up the look. (Confession - I made up more than one because I couldn't decide if yellow or black buttons looked better.)
This pattern also has several sleeve options, sleeveless, cap sleeve, and 3/4" with cuff.  I've close the cap sleeve on my version. Like all Bluegingerdoll patterns the bodice is fully lined for a clean finish on the inside.
For this sample I pulled out some stash cotton originally purchased from Emmaonesock.com. It's from Ascher Studio, a favorite fabric designer of mine, but is a little heavier weight then the other Ascher cottons in the stash.  I figured that the Odette pattern would work well with this fabric. The thicker weight would help make the cut out neckline stand up crispy and also look good in the gored skirt.  My fabric pairing instincts proved to be right and I'm really happy with the fabric/pattern pairing here.  Though I will confess that I could have done some work figuring out pattern placement.  The majority of the yellow flowers ended up on the back of the dress. Oops.
I really love the skirt on this dress. Gored skirts are such a nice way to get fullness at the hem while keeping the waist area nice and trim. Oh and I almost forgot to mention that it has inseam pockets. What's in your pockets, precious?  Why the other inset I forgot to take pictures of..... Blogger Fail.

Finally a quick list of my fitting details since they come in handy every now and again.
- I went one size up from the recommended size because I like more ease.
- I did all my standard fitting alterations to the bodice. Dropping side seam dart and waist dart point 1 ", forward shoulder adjustment 1/2", Upper back widened 1/2" and back waist dart intake increased. In this case the intake was increased to a total of 2.5".
- After all my standard adjustment the bodice was still a little roomy in the waist band area. I nipped out about 1/2" at each side seam for a total of 1" removed.  Adjusted the top of the skirt to match and then everything fit nicely.
To celebrate your purchase of Odette will be 10% until 9/14/2014 when using the code Odette2014 at the checkout. So head over to the Bluegingerdoll store if you're in the mood from some pattern therapy.  I love the smell of new patterns in the morning.

27 comments:

  1. Woah! Beautiful dress! I love the vintage-ness of it. That fabric looks fabulous on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this one. i am going to be buying it (and so should take advantage of the discount really!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the fabric is pretty!! I like the idea of being able to mix up the inserts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are you?! And those shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, you are fabulous! I adore the fabric and the yellow buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice fabric! If only it had button in sleeves so you could have all three versions… at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie @sewoutnumberedSeptember 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM

    Gorgeous!! I love that fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Heather. Thanks for sharing, I need one in my life now too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooo...that fabric is fantastic! And the yellow shoes - wow! Cool pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great color on you! and great pattern too! So well made.
    oh, I'm a fan, Heather <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a gorgeous dress, and I love the pattern. Would make a great fall/winter dress with those 3/4 sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely fabulous, gorgeous fabric and the neck inset with the buttons is a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kristin. This one was really fun to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah baby yeah, I want to see you model it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, it's nice to be able to swap out the buttons if you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shoes that could not be resisted! No regrets, no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sara! So glad to finally pull out this fabric. The blue and yellow combo is tops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hee hee, I like the thought of a button in sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Natalie. This fabric is a favorite with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Jeri. I hope you get to make one too. The skirt is super fun to swish around in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Heather. Now I have to sew more yellow things to go with the shoes. Haa haa!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much JuJu. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, yes Wendy. The 3/4 sleeves would be perfect for Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Brianna. Abby always seems to come up with fun design details. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous! I can't find the words to describe my lust for your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Gail. Archer Studios really makes some beautiful prints. Love them to pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs