Summer of Dresses - New Look 6097 for Reals

7.11.2013

Hello all, I'm gonna bore you with another solid dress but hey you get to look at bird sandals again. Taaaaa Daaaaa, it's New Look 6097 as the designer intended.
Despite all the fun playing mad scientist with this pattern, I still wanted a straight skirt with pockets version.  Now I had my doubts about a knit straight skirt and the lower parts of my body intersecting.   It's a lumpy disaster waiting to happen. To negate some of the "craters on the surface of the moon" look I went with a nice stashed dark navy knit. Also helpful was that it wasn't jersey like I thought, but a thinner double knit.  The extra body to the fabric helps skim over some of my problem areas, but a purchase of SPANXS might not be a bad idea.

I call this shot, "Pockets make you smug."
I'm smug cause I got my frog pal in there.
Frog approves of these pockets. He would approve more if there was a candy bar in the other pocket. He might get hungry and need a snack.


Pattern
New Look 6097.  This is a classic case of  "Hate that fabric and don't much care for that version of the pattern."  I also can't look away from the hat that makes no sense with this outfit.  She has buff colored shoes on, why would you pair a black hat with it? New Look stylist, I have so many questions!  However kudos to the drawing next to her that is actually a good representation of the pattern. I'll ignore that the stand appears to be rotating independently from the rest of the dress form. (Don't think about the physics of that or you'll have a mini stroke.)

Fabrics used
Double knit Rayon/lycra with some silk maybe?  This is EOS deep stash so I've long forgotten what Linda carefully marked it as.  I'm 100% sure that it there was some sort of classy fiber in with the rayon and due to the shine I'm gonna say silk.  I probably should take better records.....or buy less fabric....or just continue to make shit up.  I'm pretty sure we all know what option I'm going with.

Pattern changes/alterations 
I started with a size 16/18 combo.
1. Shortened the bodice 2".  Tutorial here for future reference
2. Took in the sleeves 1/2" at the seam.
3. Took in the back bodice 3/8" at the CB seam for a total 3/4" reduction of length to the back waist seam.
4. Took 3/8" off the back skirt waist seam to make it match the bodice.
5. Added 4" of length to the skirt.  I probably chopped off an inch of that when doing the hem so it's a little shorter than cut.
6. Left off the neck facings.
7. Used the coverstitch machine to finish the neckline, sleeve, and hem.  I also used it to stitch along the pocket edges.
8. Took in the waist 3/8" at the side seams after the dress was constructed. There was a little more ease with this fabric than in the green dress. Some of that is due to the navy knit being thicker and therefore pulling the dress down and away from the body. It may have more horizontal stretch too, but I didn't do any scientific test. Someone needs to blind me with some Science...just not literally.

Confessions/Advice
1. I tried to tissue fit the skirt which I should never ever do.  If there is a tissue fitting school I would flunk out of it and have to spend my time turning tricks to earn fabric money.  Tissue fitting made me think the skirt was way too small and I added an 1" to both the front and back side seam.  Then when I sewed the dress together and it was 4" too big.  Good work Heather, way to pattern fit.   So I had to take off all the extra width that was added and then skirt fit just fine.

2. I did try putting in the neckline facing and it turned into the Rosemary's baby of facings.   It made the neckline uncomfortably tight and it would not stop flipping out of the garment. So don't nurture that devil baby facing, put it in the garbage where it belongs. It will hiss at you a little bit but just walk away.

3. This time I did stabilize the neck area with some super nice knit fusible tape I got from Sunni.  First time I've used this and it worked very well. Up with fusible knit tape, down with facings!!!!

Husband Comment
"Feels like it would be soft to wear and comfortable.  Feels like you're wearing nothing at all...nothing at all....nothing at all. Stupid Sexy Flanders."  (I added stupid sexy Flanders because that quote makes me laugh.)

My Final Thoughts
Wore this dress on Tuesday and it was the highlight of my day.  My own offspring was channeling some serious Hell Baby vibes that day so I was super happy to have a comfy outfit on.  The fabric feels very soft and kind of drapes around you when you move.  I also dropped a whole lot of food on myself and the navy color hid it all. Basically I was a mess that day but my dress disguised it from the world.  High five dress, you get MVP of the week.

22 comments:

  1. Since I'm possibly the only person awake and not watching the silliness that is Sharknado (don't have cable), I will leave you a comment. =)

    I love your simple navy dress! Navy is so much more interesting that black but just as neutral. But I have to say, my absolute favorite thing is Frog in your pocket! lol - he's so adorable and you are hilarious!

    (oh, and btw, I always have to pass word verification on your site too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke, my original thought was to make another dress to match the bird sandals but navy is a really nice neutral. Brightens up the face a little more than black. :) Frog is pleased that you enjoyed his part of the photo shoot.

      Delete
  2. I love the dress! The bodice on this is so great. I'm so glad it passed the toddler hell test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I'm temped to make a weeks worth of dresses with this bodice. I might want to control myself though. ;)

      Delete
  3. very cute and froggie makes it even better! i like navy a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweary, froggie says he makes everything better. It's a good things he's cute since he's not modest. hee hee

      Delete
  4. It turns wonderful! You look great in such dresses :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm loving having a wrap bodice that doesn't gape all over the place.

      Delete
  5. I have this pattern and now can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, do, it! It goes pretty fast too and then you can put fun things in your pockets.

      Delete
  6. yaay for dress and froggie sized pockets, boo for hellbaby and neck facings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Down with hellbaby, up with froggie! Froggie says I love him best. Shhhhhh frog that's a secret.

      Delete
  7. I really needed your baking skills today - I've made the saddest cupcakes and the intended icing roses (was trying to copy your awesome cake) are really spirals since I didn't have the right tip. Anyway - I love navy. It's so classy and pockets are a must! This is another winner! BTW I'll be down later with Margaritas to watch the parade while six 13-year olds lay waste to my house during their sleepover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will wiggle my fingers and send baking juju your way. :) Though I should warn you that half my baking also turns out mishappen. ;) Thank you for the dress complement and also for the Margaritas, chugging one right now. Glug, glug.

      Delete
  8. I want all your summer wardrobe! Wow you are whipping these things out so fast and...."Pockets make you smug" ...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo. We need to do a summer wardrobe swap! You know if I was the same size and lived in Canada.

      Delete
  9. I love this Heather! Simple and very classy, and, yes, I love my pockets too! I even added them to pajamas I made (to tout around kitty treats for Kitty, duh). You don't normally see pockets on a knit, but I really like them! (Kitty's fave jammies: http://gjeometry.com/2013/06/23/a-pyjama-party-with-independent-pattern-designers/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catja, I love the pics of Kitty looking for treats. So fun!

      Delete
  10. This is love-ly. With such nice details, you don't need a flashy color or print- oh God, did I just say that? Gees, I feel delicate now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry P, I'll hold you until the feeling passes. See look animal prints, you feel better now don't you. ;)

      Thank you by the way.

      Delete
  11. I love pockets, they are allowed to make you smug because they are awesome! And Bird shoes?? Love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee heee! Thanks, smug pockets are the best.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs